I have picks!

Rattle that keyboard a bit and say hi, introduce yourself or tell us why you're here. For new members this is your first port of call
Cree8ion
UKLS New Member

OK, so I signed up ages ago, having ventured into the rabbit hole of locksport.
Finally I have received my pick set and I am ready to go.
Actually, my wife decided that since I have a set...that means I must be able to use them...yikes...someone has lost a key for a storage cupboard at her workplace.
I head down there with my shiny new Sparrows Night School and spend about 10 minutes getting half the lock to set, then work on the other half and click click click.
On my last attempt, my wife decided 20 minutes was long enough, bingo, I got it.

Suffice to say, I am hooked and want to know and do more.

that's the offending lock...not the key...just one of the many they had that did not open it (they have a lot of those same locks)
I_am_Error
UKLS Junior Member

Congratulations, though I'm not sure this is in-line with forum rules about picking locks that are in use.

That said, a lot of the time you'll have an easier go raking those wafer locks.

Welcome to the religion.
And in the spider's belly, bones of the butterfly...
TequilaDave
VIP Member

Rule #5
"5. Locks in Use - Posts that include the picking or bypass of locks in use are not permitted on open forum ..... because and because"

Read the rules here: https://uklocksport.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=38

:welc:

I wish I had a "welcome template" like some of the others here, saying to read the rules etc. Just do as they say! :)

There's a wealth of information on this forum and if you can't find what you're after just ask. The only stupid question is one that isn't asked!

Don't be afraid of posting photos of locks you pick on the way as we all like pictures, no matter how easy they are to open. Everybody started somewhere and like seeing people progress. You don't have to pick a Medico to get a +1! In fact there's a whole thread on "What you didn't pick today"' :)

More than anything, have fun and keep it legal!

I think I've just written my first "welcome template"
:hee20hee20hee:
"Without a naughty bucket life would be boring!" :)
mattj
UKLS Member

Welcome!
pedro.m.reis
UKLS Member

I would try a snowman on that one... If is not in use offcourse :)
Glad you make it .... next time first take out the lock and them pick it :)

:hee20hee20hee:
merlin5666
Trading Locksmith

mini jigglers would have that open in seconds, not exactly locksport but in this case that was not the purpose of the exercise
Diurin
VIP Member

@Merlin in that case he should have called you :P
Welcome @Cree8ion, don't fuss about breaking the rules, happens to all of us. Have fun picking and on the forum and keep your picks out of tight places (or was it in tight places...) ;)
A non practising vegetarian.
TonyS
VIP Member

Diurin wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:28 pm

Welcome @Cree8ion, don't fuss about breaking the rules,
Just don't do it again !
Huxley
UKLS Donator
UKLS Donator

GravityKarma
VIP Member

welcome!
Cree8ion
UKLS New Member

oops :redface:
Cree8ion
UKLS New Member

sorry folks...didn't mean to break the rules straight out the gate.

TIL:
#1 read the rules
#2 that my set could use some more picks
#3 this is a friendly and welcoming community
#4 I managed to both follow rule No.0 and break rule No.5 simultaneously
TequilaDave
VIP Member

At least you didn't post how you had to destructively open an automotive combination lock on someone else's safe because you couldn't bypass it! s_laugh
TequilaDave
VIP Member

@Cree8ion Here's a good current thread to read if you want to expand (or start again) you pick collection as a beginner: https://uklocksport.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=17583
TequilaDave
VIP Member

@Cree8ion TBH I would say many (if not the majority) of forum members have legitimately opened a wafer lock at work for a filing cabinet or office desk etc when needed, I know I have had to! In fact I've only ever used my key extractor for work, but that's not what this site is really about, it's more to do with Locksport as a hobby. Many a reply on this site is to "get your local locksmith to do it"! :)

There are several good reasons as to why posting about locks in use is barred in general chat as I'm sure you'd agree. Stick at it, contribute to the community and just generally be a nice guy and you may get invited to VIP were the rules are slightly more lax. :) Still no automotive though!
Cree8ion
UKLS New Member

ironically, I had the locksmith at my workplace yesterday to 'unstuck' and replace a broken lock on our main point of entry. We compared pick sets, and he showed me all his cheater tools (some cool ones) and then we agreed that while he needs them to be practical, I was wanting to unlock "puzzles" for the challenge.
I concur with what you've all said, and I am not interested in breaking and entering or anything nefarious...I am very interested in the challenge of learning how locks work in their various complexities...starting with the set I have purchased from sparrows....and growing form there.
I look forward to participating and sharing within the bounds of what the forum is intended for.
pedro.m.reis
UKLS Member

Cree8ion wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:03 pm
ironically, I had the locksmith at my workplace yesterday to 'unstuck' and replace a broken lock on our main point of entry. We compared pick sets, and he showed me all his cheater tools (some cool ones) and then we agreed that while he needs them to be practical, I was wanting to unlock "puzzles" for the challenge.
I concur with what you've all said, and I am not interested in breaking and entering or anything nefarious...I am very interested in the challenge of learning how locks work in their various complexities...starting with the set I have purchased from sparrows....and growing form there.
I look forward to participating and sharing within the bounds of what the forum is intended for.
Most importantly, did you get some locks from him??? If not, call him. Now :)
TequilaDave
VIP Member

PS @Cree8ion Your avatar is broken, you may need to upload it again.
Cree8ion
UKLS New Member

[quote=pedro.m.reis post_id=297683

Most importantly, did you get some locks from him??? If not, call him. Now :)
[/quote]
pedro.m.reis wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:07 pm

63298C7B-030A-447B-B246-3682329B5989.jpeg
😆
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tipene
VIP Member

Welcome @Cree8ion, nice to see another Kiwi join the forum
What am I thankful for? I'm thankful Praying Mantis aren't 5 feet tall (Josh Homme)
Sedz
VIP Member

Another New Zealander discovered the internet, welcome.
PacMandalore
VIP Member

welc to the forum =)