New member and neophyte to lockpicking

Rattle that keyboard a bit and say hi, introduce yourself or tell us why you're here. For new members this is your first port of call
Padwan
UKLS New Member

Hi there everyone

My name is Ben and wanted to say hello to everyone on the forum.

A bit of a background on me: Born and bred in South East London, but having to move to Shropshire next week short notice (big move) - My grandfather was a pretty good lockpicker and it was something I used to watch him do when I was a kid. It was never something he showed me how to do or taught me I just watched - although I was always fascinated how he could seem to magic any lock open. Well fast forward 20 years and due to life stress I am currently experiencing a great deal of depression due to my grandfathers and my grandmothers death, coupled with having to move house, and other stresses in life which I won't bore you with.

Anyway, while at home a week ago trying not to make friends with my negative thoughts, I came across my grandfathers lockpicking tools. I decided to have a go and try it but failed miserably (I didn't even use a tension wrench!) I then decided to buy a lockpicking learner set online. I thought they might of been easier but still had no luck. I then did a search on youtube and came across a video by a person called Waddac2, who mentioned the forum here. I had a go at picking one of the practice tubular padlocks, and low and behold it cracked right open. I can't explain it but the feeling of cracking that lock open helped my depression immensely. I then became a little addicted. I tried to time myself and I managed to crack the lock open in 6 seconds which I was happy with. In the beggining of the week I was a bit of a frantic raker but im learning to treat my lock and tension with more care and accuracy.

I then had a go at lockpicking (single pin one at a time) and I managed to do it on my padlock and just have done it on my new learner padlock. My dad gave me one of his old shed padlocks and I just cracked that open too which I am really happy with. Today, I managed to crack open a yale cylinder door lock (from practice set) and can't believe how much this is turning me away from negative thoughts.

Right now I am busy trying to practice the other locks (euro door lock from practice set) and I haven't managed to do it so far but I guess this is a learning curve and I need to keep going.

I look forward to making new friends here, contributing where I can, and reading old forum posts trying to gain some tips on this sport.

Thank you,

Ben.
Last edited by Padwan on Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
Dan Gray
UKLS Donator
UKLS Donator

:welc:

Hi Ben!

Welcome to the site. It's quite a heart warming tale that you've picked up your Gramps tools and found a measure of success.

The real win for you though is finding this site. You'll find a lot of fantastic people here with masses of insight and very generous in both time and with knowledge.

Don't be shy in asking questions as people here love to see everyone's progress with the sport.

Great to have you on board!
Taking the path of least resistance since 1973.
Shurelock
VIP Member

:s_hi: @Padwan

BTW: we love pictures of anything lock related, but above all I am curious what your gandpa's set looked like. Is it anything like we use today?

welc
mattj
UKLS Junior Member

Welcome Ben

Also a recent joiner (similar part of the world too, at least until you move!). Glad to hear you're enjoying it, can totally see how it's helping as I love the rush of opening a new lock for the first time!

Hope the move goes well!
TequilaDave
VIP Member

I wish I had a "welcome template" like some of the others here, saying to read the rules etc. Just do as they say! :)

There's a wealth of information on this forum and if you can't find what you're after just ask.

Don't be afraid of posting photos of locks you pick on the way as we all like pictures, no matter how easy they are to open. Everybody started somewhere and like seeing people progress. You don't have to pick a Medico to get a +1! In fact there's a whole thread on "What you didn't pick today"' :)

More than anything, have fun and keep it legal!

Can you post up some pictures of your Grandfather's old picks please?

I think I've just written my first "welcome template"
:hee20hee20hee:
GravityKarma
VIP Member

The meditative aspect of lock picking and the resounding benefit to mental health is not to be underestimated. I'd love to see the picks your grandfather used, I'm sure they're much the same as any of us have.

There's loads of useful stuff here in the friendliest corner of the internet and a whole host of people to ask when you can't find what you're after.

Have a read of the rules, pick some locks and show us the photos.

GK
Billbobaggins
UKLS Donator
UKLS Donator

Hi Ben and wellcome to the forum, i will just say you will never be alone on this forum, the best 3 words of advice i can give you is practice, practice, and PRACTICE, OH,and enjoy!
MHM
UKLS Team Member

Welcome mate. As has been said above, there genuinely is something about picking that's good for your mental health. Dunno why. Dunno what. But it's there. Dive into the site with both feet, you'll have a ton of fun here.
Michael Maynard.

"Work is the curse of the safecracking classes" - GravityKarma
TequilaDave
VIP Member

@Padwan I have had a horrendous few years recently but have always found solace in Locksport and especially this forum. I still go through ups and downs but know I always have friends and support here if I need it.

Youd be surprised how many people have got into picking due to bad circumstances.

Every cloud has a silver lining as they say.

Stay strong and get involved, it helped me no ends!
Dan Gray
UKLS Donator
UKLS Donator

MHM wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:34 pm
Welcome mate. As has been said above, there genuinely is something about picking that's good for your mental health. Dunno why. Dunno what. But it's there. Dive into the site with both feet, you'll have a ton of fun here.
A huge part of it being that pretty much every single person you'll meet along the way is supportive, positive and generous to a fault. Pretty much opposite of everything you've come to expect of the interwebz.
Taking the path of least resistance since 1973.
Gazz
VIP Member

Hi Ben :welc:

Have a read of the rules and a good look around. welc :06: welc

You've come to the right place for all things Locksport. :08:

Lots of friendly folk to help you along your journey. :88:

Ask loads of questions and post loads of pics. welc
You must always remember, it's the lock that chooses the pick, not you.
merlin5666
Trading Locksmith

There are some really good people on here with knowledge that you would not believe possible im talking NASA standard in locksport for the top boys.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, read ..............learn ...........and .............practise
merlin5666
Trading Locksmith

There are some really good people on here with knowledge that you would not believe possible im talking NASA standard in locksport for the top boys.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, read ..............learn ...........and .............practise :welc:
Lock_Noob
UKLS Team Member

welc :s_hi:

Nice to meet you :) read the rules, check out some old threads and join in the fun!

xbmods
VIP Member

Welcome aboard Ben! It's already been said a few times but I'm going to repeat it anyway, we are all a friendly bunch and there are more people who can relate and empathise with your struggles than you would believe. Jump in, embrace it and please post some pics of your grandfather's kit, would love to see it.
Jason J