It’s only polite to introduce myself.

Rattle that keyboard a bit and say hi, introduce yourself or tell us why you're here. For new members this is your first port of call
Stevejgreen
UKLS New Member

I have retired to Spain, and taking up lockpicking seemed like a relaxing no stress hobby, not so sure, as my naughty bucket is getting filled with locks bought from the local market. But that could be down to my low skill level.

One issue that is bound to get worse, is the cost of shipping from the UK and exporting picks in your hand luggage at airports as they are apparently lethal weapons!

About to embark on my first commission for a local bar, They have 9 different keys for their various doors and gates. I will endeavour to pin them all the same, with a few security pins added.
I don’t particularly want to scare them with the ease of getting into a euro cylinder by snapping it, but I can see them worrying that all locks will be the same reducing apparent security.
My point is that if someone wants to pick a lock and they get in, security is breached, if a potential intruder fails to pick one lock, surely they will simply move on to the next lock which might be a lot easier so making them all the same is not a weakness.
Any opinions?
Gazz
VIP Member

Hi Steve :welc:

Have a read of the rules and a good look around. welc :06: welc

You've come to the right place for all things Locksport. :08:

Lots of friendly folk to help you along your journey. :88:

Ask loads of questions and post loads of pics. welc
You must always remember, it's the lock that chooses the pick, not you.
Baldiloks
Advanced Team Member

How do :welc:

We are a locksport community so the discussion about locks in use is a no no.

Apart from that, we will help where we can.
Sedz
VIP Member

Stevejgreen wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:17 pm
if a potential intruder fails to pick one lock, surely they will simply move on to the next lock which might be a lot easier so making them all the same is not a weakness.
So you're the one who keyed all our schools alike.
xbmods
VIP Member

:welc:
Welcome to the forum! I would say that intruders generally don't pick locks, they will snap them or smash their way in. In Spain, especially on the Costas the use of bump keys for burglaries is also now pretty common.
Jason J
Billbobaggins
VIP Member

A warm welcome to you, it sounds like you are jumping in with both feet, unless you have had some previous experience, with different locks that is.
tsiolkovsky
UKLS Team Member

Hey and welcome
Stevejgreen
UKLS New Member

I learned a lot about locks when I ran the Mechanical/Building maintenance at a hospital.
They were truly appalling for losing keys. The stupidity was, that they would not give me some keys or codes for the most important locks in the hospital like the pharmacy, so when they ‘lost’ their key, I had to employ a locksmith to open the lock. I watched and learned then tried to replicate his tricks with some success.

Many locks were mastered or sub mastered, that was also interesting to learn about too, it came in useful.