Any advice on this padlock?

Rattle that keyboard a bit and say hi, introduce yourself or tell us why you're here. For new members this is your first port of call
lockpickingnoob
UKLS New Member
Personal Text: New to the game
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:23 pm

Hey guys, I'm totally new to this hobby and could do with some advice.

I bought a basic £10 lock picking set off Amazon the other day to get into an indoor mortice lock (locked myself out of my home office and didn't want to break the door down); long story short I picked this old 3 lever ERA lock felt chuffed and now I'm slightly obsessed.

I have picked all of the padlocks in my house since then except this blackspur lock (see attached)

I believe it has 4 pins, and that at least one of these pins is a security pin. I think it may be a spool pin, but as I have not knowlingly dealt with any security pins before I'm not sure. There is feedback on one of the pins (near the back), however when I try to allow it to counter-rotate and work the pin up to the shear the lock still doesn't open.

I have also managed to have all 4 pins up (can hear them all click when I release tension) without opening the lock, I wonder if there is a T shaped pin also? Or if perhaps there is a 5th pin that I haven't been able to feel.

(I picked up this lingo within 24 hours, don't let that fool you into thinking I'm not a noob)

Any advice would be appreciated as this lock has been tormenting me for almost two days now!

Also having seen the post by Locknoob below I'm prepared to be roasted about my apparently extremely unoriginal username. Let the banter commence :great:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Toni
VIP Member
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 7 times

Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:44 pm

That lock looks of horrible quality and probably has a plastic core and very ill shaped standard pins. I'd be surprised if it gave any useable feedback. I think you'd be better off looking for second hand brand locks like abus. Or whatever you find. Just these cheap padlocks are horrible and no fun at all.
Baldiloks
Advanced Team Member
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 43 times

Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:45 pm

s_laugh s_laugh

How do :welc:

Have a read of the rules and Solomon's guide to start with.

Blackspur are a bit pants and as such can be difficult to pick as a beginner.

The pins are badly shaped and probably a little beveled at the end.

I would be surprised if it had security pins.

Once you think it is all set, try bouncing the tension a little. This should drop any overset pins.

Or as a newer picker the best advice is to put it away and leave it. It will only hinder your progress .
Billbobaggins
UKLS Full Member
Personal Text: Going on an adventure.

Bbs
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 30 times

Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:00 am

Hi and wellcome to the forum, the 2nd noob in as many hours, your lock looks nice on the outside but a pain on the inside!if you are in this CONTRY, try table top sales, boot sales,etc where you can get all types of locks for very little money. Have a good look around this forum for a starter, e bay also,then take some photos of your bargins and get some interesting chat going and your on YOUR
way.
lockpickingnoob
UKLS New Member
Personal Text: New to the game
Been liked: 0

Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:05 pm

Great thanks for the info. Will move onto other locks, cheers
CasperDK
VIP Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:47 pm

Can we see the key?

Single pin picking these cheap badly made locks can be a real hazzle. You can probably rake it open pretty easy.
Lock_Noob
UKLS Team Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 11 times

Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:07 pm

Yes, these are cast metal locks and are surpch poor quality, I couldn’t recommend one to learn with. Master lock might make poor security locks, but they are really consistent picks and great to learn on IMO :)
Gordon W
VIP Member
Been liked: 8 times

Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:24 pm

Hiya mate
Pop to Wilco and pick up a couple of padlocks and a euro cylinder..

You’ll learn fast if you’re on the forum everyday and watching a lot of YouTube vids
Locknoob and helpfullockpicker are two I would recommend if you haven’t stumbled across them already