Author Topic: Forum Etiquette  (Read 1239 times)

Offline meme

• UKLS offical foreign git
  • VIP Member
  • UKLS Senior Member
  • * Mick *
Forum Etiquette
« on: 23 July, 2016, 00:33:21 »
I thought I would take the time to come up with some suggestions for Forum Etiquette on UKLS - this is work in progress and by no means complete or even finalised - at the moment it is just personal opinion but I would like some of you to put forward suggestions for improvement - I feel that it may be a tad too long so I definitely need help there - essentially this is your forum so please contribute

The ethos of UKLS as I see it is based on support & encouragement especially for new member & new pickers, and works on trust & respect - with this in mind I drew up the following for consideration - these are not rules that must be followed but are more guidelines if we want our ethos to continue

(the following has be made up, copied, plagiarised, and twisted from various sources)

• If someone sends you something then when you receive it acknowledge it in PM to the sender or post it in the received today thread - when you pick someone else’s lock then please acknowledge the owner
  • Be nice with packages and possibly include a sweety or two – I love sweeties
  • @meme is special so please be nice to him - he only wants to be loved
  • Say "thank you" when appropriate
  • Don't repeatedly badger folks looking for stuff – especially if you are a new member
  • We are a community run on trust and respect – these are built up quickest through contribution
  • Even if @coyote makes a dog's dinner out of a gutting you should mention the good things as well (if any)
  • Read the forums rules before posting for the first time
  • Search is your friend
  • No such thing as a silly question
  • Use a meaningful title for your thread – “Birdy Guts” means nothing to most folks and isn't even humorous
  • Be civil - personal differences should be handled through PM or escalation to a mod and not through posts on the open forum
  • Stay on topic – by the way, my boss told me to have a good day …… so I went home
  • Do not double post (post the same message twice in one thread) or cross post (place the same message in multiple threads)
  • Try not to hijack any of @Baldiloks' threads (too often)
  • Derailing threads is not very nice - apologies are in order when that happens - exception is when the other mods hijack & derail my threads since I don't have anyone to complain to
  • The members of UKLS are generous to a fault – new members should not abuse this with a “Take” attitude – give first, build up your trust, and the rest will follow
  • DO NOT USE ALL CAPS IN YOUR POSTS OR THREAD TITLE
  • When replying to a post, do not quote more from the previous post than you have to
  • Watch your sense of humour – if you don't have one then please borrow from someone else – unless you are @dirk or @Foxxy3, Germans don't normally have a sense of humour so be aware that all humour may not translate so well – what is funny in one culture may not be in another
  • Even though forum registration requires you to be over 18 this is primarily a locksport forum and not an adult forum - (though I like an odd tease)
  • Do not post any information that you want private - posts and pics should not contain personal information
  • Be patient when waiting for a reply from another member and don't hassle them - real life may have intervened
  • Do not double post (post the same message twice in one thread) or cross post (place the same message in multiple threads)
  • Give the benefit of doubt to the other person – tone is very hard to get across in text
  • Be kind to new members – (one day they might be a mod)
  • Lurking is of course permitted but participation is valued
  • I have found that the fastest way to learn something is to try and teach it to someone else – be generous with your knowledge
  • Respect diversity: religious, ethnic, cultural, gender, intellectual, and even the odd cartoon character
  • Please, no tantrums, or rants about folks – if you are extremely annoyed at something or someone then the best thing is to take a break – when you come back then take it up in PM or with a mod
  • Absolutely no posting of other folk’s personal information under any circumstances
  • Pics of @Baldoloks and Snowdon is the new “Kilroy was here” if used appropriately and only if your name is Simon
  • New to picking pin tumblers? having a browse of Solomon's Guide might answer a lot of your initial questions
  • When asking for help, be sure to mention what you have tried yourself first - pics also help a lot - otherwise the answers you may get could be unpredictable
  • Not everyone knows who Ben or @coyote or Rich or Andy or Tom or Jon may be so if the context is not clear then use their profile id
  • Play nice (this is both Rule #18 and good etiquette
  • Don't be like the pic below

(suggestions incorporated from @markd and @landownunder and @Baldoloks and @mech and @Scope and @MrAnybody and @janneo64)
stop asking questions and get out the grinder - learning how to make picks comes from doing it and not from reading answers

Offline meme

• VIP Member
  • UKLS Senior Member
  • * Mick *
Re: Forum Etiquette
« Reply #1 on: 11 August, 2016, 00:56:56 »
thread has been cleaned - play nice - if you have a joke then make sure its good lol
« Last Edit: 11 August, 2016, 14:16:13 by meme »
stop asking questions and get out the grinder - learning how to make picks comes from doing it and not from reading answers

Offline Iamgod

• UKLS New Member
  • BANNED
« Reply #2 on: 11 August, 2016, 14:03:31 »
 :sorry:  :72:
If any of you runs into this guy on any other forum, I'd suggest you stay away from deals with him. [Admin]

Offline meme

• VIP Member
  • UKLS Senior Member
  • * Mick *
« Reply #3 on: 11 August, 2016, 14:15:19 »
that's ok, I don't mind an odd diversion - part of the fun of the forum

Offline waddac2

• Team Advertiser and UKLocksport Promoter
  • UKLS Senior Member
  • waddac2 Known As Rich
« Reply #4 on: 12 August, 2016, 16:28:53 »
Myself and Iamgod a great forum mates and were just having a huge laugh  :57:

Well some one has to as everyone else has turned so boring  :D

Offline Iamgod

• UKLS New Member
  • BANNED
« Reply #5 on: 13 August, 2016, 08:48:54 »
I know rich poor memes post he he  :) why everyone so serious meant to enjoy hobbies have a laugh  :19:
If any of you runs into this guy on any other forum, I'd suggest you stay away from deals with him. [Admin]

Offline Scope

• VIP Member
  • UKLS Loyal Member
« Reply #6 on: 27 December, 2016, 19:51:32 »
Thread bump, good information for all new members.

:icon_thumright:
I'm a bit like a magpie, I like shiney thing's.