Hello everyone

Rattle that keyboard a bit and say hi, introduce yourself or tell us why you're here. For new members this is your first port of call
Ukspar
UKLS New Member

Hi everyone, new here and fairly new to locksport

Anyone got any suggestions on some good beginner locks?

I’ve got 3 types of transparent ones that are fairly easy and a Gege euro cylinder that I just can’t open, Ive opened one side of it up and it has some funky pins in it, the middle is thinner than the two ends if that makes sense? Any advice on picking these would be awesome

Cheers guys looking forward to knocking around on here!
TequilaDave
VIP Member

:welc:

I wish I had a "welcome template" like some of the others here, saying to read the rules etc. Just do as they say! :)

There's a wealth of information on this forum and if you can't find what you're after just ask.

Don't be afraid of posting photos of locks you pick on the way as we all like pictures, no matter how easy they are to open. Everybody started somewhere and like seeing people progress. You don't have to pick a Medico to get a +1! In fact there's a whole thread on "What you didn't pick today"' :)

More than anything, have fun and keep it legal!

Those "funky" pins are called "spools", have a read of Solomon's guide or a quick search on YouTube should help you with those. Have you tried re-pinning the lock with just a couple of pins?

I think I've just written my first "welcome template"
:hee20hee20hee:
Baldiloks
Advanced Team Member

How do :welc:

Those pins in the Gege are called Spool pins, Gege are awesome locks, ell done for picking it.
LockhackerUK
UKLS Member

:welc: Great to have you here.

Ed
Shurelock
VIP Member

:s_hi: @Ukspar

:welc:
GravityKarma
VIP Member

Welcome!
Plenty of good info on beginner locks on the site.
Ukspar
UKLS New Member

Wow thank you all for the welcome, seems a really friendly forum!

I still haven’t picked the Gege yet just opened one side of it up, going to re pin it with two spool pins tomorrow and read Solomon’s post on getting to grips with spools.

Had a delivery of a master no 5 lock and an abus 64ti/50 today to have a play with so I’ll post pictures of how I get on, first impressions my .20 short hook seems to be struggling but maybe it’s my newbie heavy handedness and not the picks fault.
mattj
UKLS Junior Member

I'm also working on a 64ti/50 at the moment. Got it open the first day I got it twice, then nothing for the 2 weeks since! If it helps I was using a small half diamond when I did manage to open it!
Ukspar
UKLS New Member

Thanks Matt, that does help. I’ve not had a proper look at it yet, I gave a quick half hearted attempt and managed nothing. Do you know what pins are in there?
Gazz
VIP Member

Hi :welc:

Have a read of the rules and a good look around. welc :06: welc

You've come to the right place for all things Locksport. :08:

Lots of friendly folk to help you along your journey. :88:

Ask loads of questions and post loads of pics. welc
You must always remember, it's the lock that chooses the pick, not you.
Billbobaggins
UKLS Donator
UKLS Donator

Hi and welcome, take your time and enjoy.
mattj
UKLS Junior Member

Ukspar wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:50 pm
Thanks Matt, that does help. I’ve not had a proper look at it yet, I gave a quick half hearted attempt and managed nothing. Do you know what pins are in there?
I've struggled to find a concrete answer online but I think there may be spools in it.
TequilaDave
VIP Member

Ukspar wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:00 pm
....and read Solomon’s post on getting to grips with spools....
The link to the PDF has just been fixed so if you didn't find Solomns Guide elsewhere you can now grab it from here: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=423
Sedz
VIP Member

mattj wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:51 pm
I've struggled to find a concrete answer online but I think there may be spools in it.
My Titaliums pop open quick with heavy tension, no false set just open. No idea what's inside, but could be worth trying to force it open first.
MHM
UKLS Team Member

Sedz wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:57 pm
mattj wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:51 pm
My Titaliums pop open quick with heavy tension, no false set just open. No idea what's inside, but could be worth trying to force it open first.
That's how I pick them too, heavy tension and little incremental clicks. I think they're tapered, at the very least that's how they behave.
Michael Maynard.

"Work is the curse of the safecracking classes" - GravityKarma
mattj
UKLS Junior Member

Tried again this evening on it with some heavy tension but still no luck! God knows how I opened it the first day when I was just prodding about in it! I do wonder if I'm oversetting something. I seem to get 4 and 5 set but then cant find anything else binding most tries. Think I'll try again tomorrow and go a bit easier on the pins!