Hello from a sort of newbie!

Rattle that keyboard a bit and say hi, introduce yourself or tell us why you're here. For new members this is your first port of call
Mort
UKLS New Member
Personal Text: Trained but inexperienced.
Practice required!
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:32 am

Hi.

Decided I want to get back into an old love, locks and padlocks.

I did 1 year of a two years locksmithing course when I was in Australia, didn't finish it due to illness, which is why I am back in Europe. I can cut keys by hand, by code or by duplication machine, includes pin tumblers, lever locks, car keys (some! lol) and wafer locks. I was top of my class before my illness. My tutor told me he knew locksmiths who had worked for 20 years who couldn't hand cut keys like I do! I have never worked on a dimple lock, I would like to try that one day.

I have a rather splendid collection of old and vintage padlocks, but it is up in the ex wifes loft at the moment boxed up as I travel around in my old van. I like picking up old locks at flea markets and junk shops and making keys for them. I hope this year I will be able to get settled somewhere and get started with all that again. In fact I will have to. I have at least half a dozen combination locks for which I have forgotten the combinations. I know I should have written them down when I packed all the locks up. Ah well, all good practice! I have a small picking set somewhere in a cupboard in this van, but I have no idea where. I will soon be asking for recommendations for a new set or two. I figure I can practice picking in the van as easy as anywhere else. Only problem is the cops. They could legitimately do me for going equipped having that stuff in my van. My dad's an ex cop and he schooled me on it. I'll take the risk I reckon!

So anyway thanks for having me. I am out of practice, I haven't touched a padlock since I left Australia in 2014. Looking forward to learning more about the range of locks available in the UK, and getting my teeth into some of them. And as always, I am a sponge for info and technical details, I really get my geek on when locks are concerned! lol

Cheers everyone. All advice is most gratefully received! :great:
John
VIP Member
Personal Text: Baby lock do do do do do do........
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:30 am

Hey Mort welc

You’re in exactly the right place for lots of helpful information, and although you probably don’t need to read some of the stuff in the newbies section you may not have heard of Solomon’s guide before, so that’s worth a peek. Don’t be afraid to ask about anything as we can all learn along the way

I’ve never had any trouble with the police in the uk, as I’m always very open with what my hobby is to everyone who wants to know, and often refer them to this site. Obviously I’m not hanging around in someone else’s back garden at 2am, but put together a little hobby bag for when you’re travelling with some practice locks in it and it’ll be a lot harder for anyone to prove any malicious intent.

The best investment I ever made was in the southord c2010 set, and this has been added to over the last 18 months gradually - it’s a great set to start with.

We love to see pictures of kit,locks etc, so have a mooch around, have a read of the rules and make some friends.

Great to see you here
These users liked the author John for the post:
Pickbeard 7721 (Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:40 pm)
KeyMOE
VIP Member
Been liked: 8 times

Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:45 am

:s_hi: and welc

Great to have you here, you’ve come to the right place to continue your Lockpicking journey. So many knowledgable and generous people on here. Post lots of pictures, ask lots of questions and get involved.

See you around,

KeyMOE
He who fights with ASSA’s should be careful lest he thereby become an ASSA. And if thou gaze long into a keyway, the keyway will also gaze into thee." - Keytzsche
kattefjaes
UKLS Member

Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:57 pm

“How do you get all those coins?" asked Mort.
IN PAIRS.
Welcome aboard!
Gazz
VIP Member
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 7 times

Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:49 pm

Hi :welc:

Have a read of the rules and a good look around. welc :06: welc
Life is like a pubic hair on a toilet seat. Every once in a while, you get pissed off.
Baldiloks
Advanced Team Member
Been liked: 11 times

Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:55 pm

How do :welc:

Have a read of the rules and Solomon's guide and check out lots of videos and pictures

Ask lots of questions and enjoy
oceanaut
VIP Member
Has liked: 1 time

Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:43 pm

welc
Mort
UKLS New Member
Personal Text: Trained but inexperienced.
Practice required!

Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:49 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I will check out the rules and guides mentioned tonight :)
tsiolkovsky
UKLS Team Member
Been liked: 3 times

Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:02 pm

Wotcha and welcome! Do have fun with us all!

Rik
Lock_Noob
UKLS Team Member
Been liked: 4 times

Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:25 pm

welc :s_hi:

Nice to meet you :) read the rules, check out some old threads and join in the fun!

:welc: